Monday, December 24, 2012

Chicky-Chicky Parm-Parm

Somehow amidst my crazy Christmas Cookie Baking Extravaganza I also managed to cook real food to take to work for lunch. Luckily Chicken Parmesan is super low-maintenance. You don't have to constantly mix things or babysit it on the stove. Just pop it in the oven.

I'm not as low-maintenance as Chicken Parmesan. I, of course, have to tailor it to my specifications. I don't like fried food and I really don't like breaded chicken. Typically, the chicken is dredged in flour, egg, and breadcrumbs and then pan fried before being smothered in sauce and cheese and popped in the oven. In my version, I give chicken a light dusting of breadcrumbs seasoned with Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning and bake it before smothering it in sauce and cheese.

Ingredients:

Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts or Tenders
Breadcrumbs (about 1 cup, depending on how much chicken you make!)
Parmesan Cheese (about 1/2 cup)
Salt
Pepper
Italian Seasoning

Olive Oil
3 Cloves of Garlic, Minced
1 Large Onion, Diced
1 Can Crushed Tomatoes
1 Can Tomato Sauce
Salt
Pepper
Italian Seasoning

Shredded Mozzarella Cheese

Directions:
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking pan with foil and place a baking rack in the pan.

Combine breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese, add salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning to taste.

Lightly coat chicken with breadcrumb mixture and place on the rack in the baking pan. Cook at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Flip after 15 minutes and cook until juices run clear.

Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a deep skillet. Add onions and garlic and cook until onions begin to soften. Add tomato sauce and crushed tomatoes and season to taste. Gently simmer.

Once chicken is cooked, remove rack and return chicken the baking pan (leave the foil for easy cleanup!) Turn the oven down to 350 degrees.

Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over chicken and cover with sauce. Add more mozzarella cheese and sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until cheese is melted and the edges are bubbly.


Serve over pasta.



Since I made my pasta for the entire week, I drizzled olive oil over it so it wouldn't clump in the fridge.


I've been eating a lot of Italian lately...maybe I should mix it up...

No comments: