Saturday, October 6, 2012

Feeding a Cold: Jalapeno Grilled Cheese

I'm getting sick. Everyone around me has been getting sick (co-workers, roommate, my brother...it's everywhere!) and I have finally been hit with the bug. I'm pretty pathetic when I'm sick, but not your typical whiny sick pathetic. I think I'm a martyr, like I'm the only person in the world who has ever been sick so I deserve to treat myself. As a result, I am a bit indulgent when I'm sick. Maybe I'm trying to bribe my body into getting better. Or maybe I just reward myself for being a good little patient. Either way, I feel sick and I want cheese. Enter grilled cheese sandwich recipes.

The other day, I came across this recipe for jalapeno popper grilled cheese (which looks delicious and I will definitely make someday) but even though it seems super easy to make, I still wanted something simpler. Also I didn't have the exact ingredients on hand, and this sounds perfect so I want to make it exactly as is. I took inspiration from this and adapted it to make one sad, lonely sandwich for a sad girl who is getting a bad cold.

I was somehow out of cheese (what?!), so I stole some from my roommate who somehow always has the ingredient I lack (thanks roomie!) and I used about half a jar of pickled jalapenos. Depending on your spice preference and whatever you have on hand, you can use more or less (or fresh instead of jarred).

I'm not reinventing the wheel here...this post is more about the technique than the "recipe" or ingredients. Cooking for one is an art form, people.

Ingredients (for 1 sandwich):
Soup
2 pieces of Bread
Butter
Shredded Cheese (about 1/2 handful...or more...)
Jalapenos, diced

Directions:

Heat up soup in a very clean pot - trust me, this is important.

Preheat a pan. Butter one side of each piece of bread.
Combine cheese and jalapenos.
Place one piece of bread, butter side down, in pan.

Pile cheese and jalapenos on bread. Top with the other piece of bread, butter side up.

Take the hot pot that your soup is simmering away in and place it on top of the sandwich, pressing down lightly for about 20-30 seconds or until the bread pulls cleanly off of the bottom of the pot.

Pour soup into a bowl and put the pot in the sink...don't put it back on the burner! There's butter and food particles on it that could start on fire!

Now you can enjoy your soup and sandwich!





Get well soon, Friends!
Tracy

No comments: